Beachwood Elementary Vegetable Garden Committee – Media Center at Beachwood Elementary
March 8th 2016
Attendance: Amanda C., Andrew C., Michelle E., Heather C., Gloria M., Jenn L., Sue M., T. Lindemann, A. Nylander, L. O’Donnell, A., M. LaRoche, J. Citta, K. Mayer, M. Castor, D. Cameron, A. Huhn, B. Betz, D. Staffieri, S. Krean, D. Calabrese, L. Mabie, S. Wiest, K. Muir, K. Josberger, R. Lunn & H. Steadman
- 1. Lunch time selling mint Smencils & bears care garden pins set for Fri March 11 & Fri April 8th (lunch 11-12:45) – Success! Raised $277.00
- show students information board detailing what’s to come
- 2. Work date for fence and benches
- Date is planned for Sunday March 13th. – Very productive. Kids were helpful
- Still need to finish fence and plan to also make benches Sunday 4/10/16
- Engraved bricks may arrive by then we can review order also…
- 3. Spring fundraiser: cut out symbols; students purchase & decorate them… Hang like chains in cafeteria… Classroom that purchases the most wins a prize(ideas welcome)
- We plan to announce the winner on Earth day Friday April 22.
- Please let me know if you’d like to help on subcommittee for this. Help will be
- i. Begin sale on April 15th. Need subcommittee to sell Fri April 15th; Monday April 18th and Wednesday April 20th (SALE ENDS WED) from 11:00-12:45
- ii. Need volunteers to hang papers in cafeteria Thursday April 21… needed to prepare symbols, sell symbols, and then hang them up… Subcommittee will be led by Jessica Bonelli (please contact us if interested in helping this subcommittee)
- 1. Sprinklers: hopefully we have news to share
- We met with sprinkler guy and he will be getting back to us with an estimate.
- 2. Seed selection:
- Parent volunteers are available to help plant seeds inside the classroom.
- Plan to start next set of seeds 1st week of April (right after Spring Break)
- Follow up on Eggplant seeds: variables from class to class
- 3. Events to plan:
- look into making rain barrel
- Summer Event – Green Festival; Zumba will be present (looking into who ran the class for Beachwood) perhaps we can do this ‘class’ as a fundraiser and also make some $ for the bears care garden…
- since meeting I have been working on planning this event. Have positive response from Save the Barnegat bay, Friends of IBSP, and Jake’s Branch Park… Working on planning a date.
- 1. Would also like to reach out to have DARE represented
- 2. Beachwood police to discuss bicycle safety
- 3. Someone from recycling perhaps
- 4. Mayors wellness campaign
- 5. Someone about seed saving
- 6. Nutritionist
- 7. Possible sell tables to vendors (esp. green/organic vendors or craft
- 8. repurpose or eco conscious crafts) make $
Also looking to form a subcommittee of helpers with this event…
- 4. Ideas what to do with extra seeds: we will have a lot!!!!
- Is there a club we can link up with to make seed paper for fundraiser/ mother’s day etc…. Ideas?
Open to public
- 1. New Fundraising idea approved to plan paint party. We can do for parents or parents and students. Also need to decide if we want to have at school (FALL 2016) and therefore no alcohol or out at a location either to buy food and drinks or BYOB (in this case no student participation)
- Also need volunteers to help with this subcommittee (participants Theresa Lindemann & Amanda Cimino)
- 2. We will be starting an am club for any student and parents who want to arrive to garden space before school. This club will meet 2x a week to weed even before we plant outdoors… most likely in April or May… Led by a parent Sue Marang with the support of the entire committee
- 3. Fall plan for outdoor movie night!!! Will add to PTO calendar…