October 14, 2015 – Minutes
Beachwood Elementary Vegetable Garden Committee
Media Center at Beachwood Elementary
- Agreed to construct on weekends of November (pending permit)
- Fence 1st
- Till 2nd
- lay cement block garden 3rd
- Students to name garden ASAP
- to be performed in school this November
- Discussed garden layout: agreed edible garden will surround outdoor classroom space.
- Agreed it should be ok to lay-out cement block garden structure now and in spring lay paver walkways… ALL PAVER WALKWAYS WILL BE WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE (36″)
- In regards to benches: plan made to reach out to scouts to see if they can volunteer to contribute benches to our garden project.
- Contributors THANK YOU
- Agreed that list of people (contributors) and addresses will be emailed to teachers so students can write thank you cards.
- OPEN TO PUBLIC
- Mailboxes for classes to keep small hand tools in
- Reach out to environmental club at Intermediate South
- Rain barrels- idea to attach gutters to top of fence and collect into rain barrel (idea to be revisited)
- Composting – currently researching Vermicomposting will be part of long term plan if it does not happen this school year.
- Security- encourage older kids to take ownership of garden and Principal Josberger is researching video surveillance of grounds